Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another day another dollar

I've been reminded over the past few weeks of the power of the family unit. When you think about it, the family you were reared by has pretty close to EVERYTHING to do with who you are today and I'm just not sure we respect that enough.

For those of us who were lucky enough to grow up in a good, happy, and well-functioning family, we were given a priceless gift. As I grow up, I'm learning to lean on my family members more and more. There really isn't anything, any length of land or sea, any seemingly insurmountable obstacle, any plan of my own, that I wouldn't overcome to help any particular member of my family. Not really because I feel any sense of obligation (though surely that exists) but because I love them and I want them to be well.

Confucius was right yet again, I'm afraid. If we could only somehow find a way to see the entire world as family, we'd be in good shape.

Consequently, it's been every so obvious to me over the past few weeks that when something goes wrong in your family, it seems like anything going right in your world has no meaning. The world is robbed of color. I'm going to work hard to keep this in mind when I'm dealing with others.

I'm excited to leave Springfield today for the first time I can really remember because I get to go home and see my parents for a few days. Then it's off to PA, and I shall either return in a box or as a dancing machine. Time will tell. I'll try to think of more substantive things to write sometime soon. Right now I'm kind of ambiguously documenting things that are going on in my life. Seeing as this blog isn't anonymous, I can't exactly go into deep detail about some of the things going on. This week has mostly been for me in that respect (and about trying to get back into the habit). At least I'm blogging regularly though!

1 comment:

Peter Clothier said...

Hello, Mark. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Re: that Freedom Isn't Free slogan--I suspect that those who promote it do NOT mean it's a good thing to pay taxes! Good that you raised the question, and took the time to work it through. Freedom, as I see it, IS free: it's what I create for myself in the inner spaces of the heart. It costs me nothing. It costs no one else.