Monday, June 15, 2009

Today has been a reminder for me of just how much we all need good friends who are willing to listen to us and be there.

I went to lunch today with the college minister at my church, First and Calvary, here in Springfield. He's on a five day fast so he didn't eat, but I enjoyed some lovely Chinese food while we talked about a bunch of questions I had regarding my spiritual life.

I feel very silly sometimes, you know. I know all of the arguments for and against God, Christianity, spirituality, etc, inside and out. Still, I can't really seem to fully convince myself of much. It isn't that I don't care or that I'm in denial about the answer that I have deep down inside, I'm just genuinely unsure of a lot. For me, everything comes down to a choice. I can reason myself into or out of any set of beliefs I'd like to. Simple as that. So I get to choose. I just have to learn how to do that now.

When things get rough, you're never alone. There will always be people there to help you. Remember that. I have to remind myself of that a lot. Today was one of those days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ultimately, the words you wrap around your beliefs will matter less than how those beliefs shape your life. In my opinion, anyway, it is walking the path that makes the difference.