Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hello from PA!

I'm in Carlisle, PA and my ballet program, CPYB, has officially begun. It's day three and I'm kinda sore (though not as much as when I was playing football or when I blew out my back in high school) but having a great time. I've got a myriad of teachers, almost all of whom have had professional dance careers and many of those that have have had very prodigious ones. Yesterday, for examply, I had my first ever modern dance class which was taught by Jamie Ray Walker, one of the only eight females in the Paul Taylor Dance Company, one of the best modern companies around. It was great!

Every day I dance about five hours. Two technique classes each an hour and a half, a men's technique class for an hour, and a pas de deux (partnering) class for another hour. This happens Monday through Friday and Saturday I dance for only about three or four hours (I don't really know how it's going to work out since I haven't had a Saturday here yet!). I already feel like a better dancer. I'm surrounded by fantastic guy dancers who I think were born wearing tights and a dance belt which is really helping me improve. There really isn't any competitiveness or squabbling for position and that seems to open the door for lots of cooperation and helping each other out.

I'm really glad of that. Dance is an artform, not a sport. It's not about competitiveness or one-up-manship. It's about expression and beauty. People who understand that and treat dance like that not only have a better time when they're dancing, but they also seem to just rise above the people who just want to be the best. They're the people you want to be around.

I don't really have much time to get on and post daily seeing as I dance from 10:30am until about 8:30pm with 20 minutes commute each way. I'm worn out by the time I get home and don't really want to do much besides eat and lay down. So I'm sorry that I haven't been on it as much as I'd like to be! Currently I'm living my dream and I couldn't really be much happier. I'll keep you posted though! Be well!

No comments: