Saturday, July 14, 2007

Updating...


So sorry I've been out for so long. I'm currently in Colorado, Winter Park to be precise, for my sister's wedding. The whole trip has taken me away from home for about a week, and it's been well worth it.

This trip has been amazing in a lot of ways. Ample time to read (Thich Nhat Hanh, Hugh Prather, Chuch Palahniuk), write in my journal, and just enjoy life. I took a day to rent a mountain bike and get lost in the Rockies, which was more incredible than I can really explain. All alone in the heart of the wild, no civilization for miles, no human sounds save my pedaling and breathing, streams flowing and birds calling.

There was a point in the ride when I was climbing the mountain, which gets one a bit winded at this altitude, and I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. When I got off of my bike and looked up, I realized that I was in the middle of this beautiful entirely birch forest, the sun shining through in patches. I don't really know how to say how it made me feel accept for a metaphor: Be Here Now talks about how at the heart of each person, your spirit is in meditation chanting mantras. You can always go back to that place and connect with that spirit in order to calm yourself and be at peace. I may or may not have a mantra-chanting spirit, but I have a birch forest to go back and unite with.

Slide....

The ceremony was beautiful, the mountains are gorgeous, I'm relaxed, well slept, well read, filled with new memories, but I'm ready to be home. I'm ready to see my friends and loved ones back in the Midwest.

Life is good.

No comments: