Friday, May 28, 2010

Boston

I'm in New Hampshire right now. My friends and I, you see, decided to trek up north to visit some friends we met through our study abroad experiences who go to UNH. They came and visited us in Springfield, so we thought we'd return the favor. Thus, on Monday we hopped in the car and schlepped 25 straight hours to spend a week in the great Northeast (particularly Boston and New Hampshire).

We've got a lot of wonderful things on the agenda. We visited UNH's campus, we spent some time in Portsmouth and saw a Celtics game, and so much more. Yesterday we bought SRO tickets to Fenway Park to watch the Royals play the Sox. Though I couldn't overtly root for Kansas City for fear of getting my ass handed to me by a mob of angry Bostoners, I cheered in my heart and much to my surprise the Royals won! We even found ourselves sitting about sixteen rows up behind home plate by the fifth inning. It was a great evening.

Tonight we'll be in Boston again to watch the Boston Ballet perform some of my favorite choreography of all time. It's a show called Black and White, a showcase of Jiri Killian - a prominent choreography from the Netherlands Dans Theatre - choreography. I fully expect an incredible show and a moving evening.

We've seen great nature, wonderful cities, and inredible events (who'd have thought the Royals could EVER beat the Sox?), the best part has been the comradery. I have incredible friends. They bring life to the situations we find ourselves in. They care about myself and each other. It's some wonderful complimentarity.

Last night Dave, my best friend who got me going to church again, and I had a great conversation on the drive home from Boston about liberalism vs. conservativism, our growth as people throughout our four years of college, and what life might look like in the years to come. He talked and I listened. And then I talked and he listened. And I felt like we both really listened, which is such a rarity I cannot even begin to express how wonderful it is to experience it.

I love being with people. I love even more being with people who respect each other and are committed to aiding each other in growth and development. It's such a beautiful thing.

I've got other issues I'd like to blog about soon as I've had some deep thoughts percolating in my head during this trip that I'd like to get out, but that will have to wait for the next day or two. To my family who happens to read this, I love you and I'll see you all soon!

-Marko

No comments: