Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Η ζωή είναι πολύ ωραία...

Αλλά τα έχιε με άλλον.

I'm back.

I've been back for four days now, but I just haven't really wanted to post. I haven't been sure of what to say. But I've been here long enough to start noticing a few things within myself, and I have a strong desire to get back on this blog and start writing again. I'm replenished, I'm inspired, and I'm ready for a new adventure.

First off, America hasn't changed. Things are still the same here in MO. In terms of scenery, it's still gorgeous. I'm still in love with the Missouri terrain, the sloping hills, the gorgeous trails, blooming trees, rivers and lakes. I think Missouri's natural beauty actually holds a strong candle to that of Greece, which is saying a lot.

In terms of people, I miss Greece. The people here still struggle with what I feel like are very insignificant issues. In the four days that I've been here, I've already encountered strong examples of bigotry, racism, religious fanaticism, and the ever so prevalent American isolationism.

I find that my natural tendency in conversations is to talk about Greece or London, to share my experiences that I've acquired recently, but I'm trying really hard to stem that for a few reasons. First of all, I don't want to be THAT guy. I don't want to be that annoying person who's been everywhere and really just wants to brag about it. Granted, I'm not trying to brag. I just want to talk about it because it's been my entire life recently. Still, I know how quickly I'd get tired of that if I were in the other person's shoes. There are other reasons, but I won't get into those now.

Today I saw a picture of a postcard I sent my family while I was in Greece. On the postcard was the waterfront where I walked every day with my friends, and for the first time I was really struck with a sadness about being away. I miss my friends. I miss walking down the seaside and discussing politics, or learning Greek, or just being engaged by our cultural differences. I loved it.

I realized on my last day in Greece why I was so distressed to leave. It wasn't because I regretted anything I did there, but it was because I didn't regret a single thing I did or didn't do in Greece. I lived exactly how I wanted to live. I was exactly the person I wanted to be, and leaving that behind is difficult. Leaving behind the people whom I've grown to love and have helped inspire my growth over the past few months is difficult.

So that's just a few quick scrawlings since my return. I'm sure as I collect myself more over the next few days/weeks, I'll be returning to this space to talk about it more. I find that it helps a bit. Don't know why!

Anyway, I hope all is well in everyone else's lives and I look forward to hearing from you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you havent exactly been EVERYWHERE now have you? So to be "that" guy is not easily done. Talking about Greece is not a crime and to indulge in that adventure, right after a return is not only natural... but accepted. Who wouldnt want to be happy for you?

I also get what you mean though. My friends were talking about how cool it would be to swim in a salt water swimming pool. I wanted to say it WAS cool, because I've done it a few times.

Your eyes dont burn, and you dont stink from chlorine. Its cool!

I just didnt want to sound like an ass for having experienced it. At the same time it sounds stupid not to talk about it. That Im worried to share my experiences for fear of looking... experienced.

You dont have to travel the world to be a dickhead. An overwhelming sense of pride can come from any direction.

But you should appreciate and respect the life you HAVE lived otherwise what are your experiences worth? They are nothing unless you value something of them.

Maybe that will put you at odds with some individuals. But you were already at odds with some indivduals BEFORE your trip. Thats life, and its ok to be varied.

Some of us will get to travel, some of us will get to swim in salt water pools, some of us will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Ok, I stole those lysrics, but you get the idea! ;)